Monday, 27 July 2015

Gorgeous Gorge

Carnarvon National Park


Our neighbour at Takarakka Bush Resort in Carnarvon National Park called it the "Oh Wow, Oh WOw, OH WOW" park. It is truly spectacular.  My amateur photography does not begin to capture its beauty but it will give you a taste. We camped just metres from the Carnarvon River and each morning did our yoga practice on the soft sand by the river below the towering sandstone cliff. There were birds galore, wallabies - many with joeys in their pouches - echidnas, turtles and catfish. And there were platypuses (platypi) which came out to play at dawn and dusk. Special.






The first day we walked 15kms up the gorge and back, stopping often to "oooo" and "ahhhh", It took seven hours as we spent much time soaking up the scenery and ambiance. 
Garry's getting tired of being photographed so there are several of the back of his head. Ms Deborah Dawson tells me I have to have people in the shots otherwise I might as well buy postcards. I'm trying Deb but he's not always co-operative. 







Aboriginal Art Gallery: It is said to be a special women's place because there are hundreds of vulvas carved into the rock. Amazingly well preserved art.

The Amphitheatre. I am standing at the entrance. The narrow corridor opens into this amazing space surrounded on four sides by sandstone cliffs. I tried some operatic singing but Garry's withering look quickly shut me up. I whistled instead. 




The Moss Garden



The following day we explored different paths and did just 10kms. However, one was to Boolimba Bluff - 4.5kms and 970 steps. Huff puff. The view was worth every step.








Mickey Creek: A very beautiful spot and I am looking dreamily into the middle distance when suddenly the serenity is broken by a wombat's mating call. Well, that's what windy Wally said it was. Humph. 





2 comments: